anvil wanted

anvil wanted

Postby lodgeey » 10 Jun 2011, 07:49

I am just starting out and aquired an old forge and blower setup fairly cheap, but am finding the anvils to be way out of my price range is there anything i can substitute with until i can afford one ?
lodgeey

Re: anvil wanted

Postby dafnej » 13 Jun 2011, 08:38

You can use any big lump of Steel like railway line. but it is hard work to get the hardy hole and horn.
dafnej

Postby SLAiN » 13 Jun 2011, 09:14

mate, anything that's solid, I've seen guys use the face of a sledge hammer, set in cement... hardy and prichel holes aren't that important when your starting out... rail is good, but finding a piece small enough can be hard, Mike at Brisbane blacksmith supplies will probably have something that will get you by until you find what your looking for.
SLAiN

Postby lodgeey » 14 Jun 2011, 07:46

Thanks fella's I'm going to hunt round the tip today see if anything turns up. I had my forge going last night for a test run and am keen to start playing with some steel.
lodgeey

Postby ratel10mm » 14 Jun 2011, 11:11

As Slain said, any large block of steel will do. I know of one guy in the U.S. who uses an old rail car hitch - which gives him some interesting shapes to use.
Traditionally blade smiths & saw smiths anvils were just a square or rectangular block of steel. They don't have much use for a London Pattern with the bick & all.
I have used a small (crane or machinery of some sort) foot with hydraulic cylinder before when I wanted to do a quick job at work. Just turned the thing upside down in a raised flower bed & whanged on the foot. Worked ok, except I needed to pack it better so it didn't keep falling over! Oh, and the fluid still in there turned out to have quite a low vapourising temp! Luckily there was no pressure build up. ;)

Any scrappy should have soemthing you can use. And remember - it doesn't have to be hugely heavy either - you can add a surprising amount of useful mass via your anvil stand. Many ancient anvils are only a very small block of iron or steel with a spike for driving it into a stump.
ratel10mm

Return to For Sale/wanted Australia